Popular Posts

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Hotteok Korean street food (sweet Korean Pancake)

Annyong!
Today I visited my local Korean market & I bought something I have been wanting to try for a while! ( im a big big fan of Korean food)  its called Hotteok! other wise known as a sweet Korean pancake. I have seen this many times in K-dramas so I finally got the guts to buy it and make it at home. I usually don't like to make  things out of a box but today is an exception ...the out come was sweet. I will make another posting once I do the Hotteok from scratch.

Hotteok is Commonly eaten during winter in Korea and is sold as street food. I have been told by the friendly Korean cashier that most Koreans don't like sweet things so when  I made the  Hotteok it was mind blowing, because it was actually really really sweet!

Now the instructions on the mix I bought are in Hangul. so I will roughly explain what to do if one day you decide to buy this your self and I highly recommend it  ^__^




                                                         This is the brand I used it cost $3.70
these are the packets that come with it , I dont know if you can see but the instructions are in Hangul. the yellow one is the batter and the brown one is the filling which consist of peanuts , brown sugar and cinnamon. 

this is the back and it has english instructions but some people might have a hard time understanding it since it is written as most people like to call it " engrish" 

start by heating 8 oz (1 cup) of water for 30 seconds. (this is for the yeast to bloom) the recipe originally called for 10 oz but that was way to much.  


open the yeast package and let it bloom in the warm water

after 5 minutes mix the water in slowly ( you might not need much) and knead the dough for 5 minutes. it will be really REALLY sticky!! 

oil your hands to keep the dough from sticking to your fingers and take aprox. 4 0z of dough the size of a small egg. after rolling it into a ball  flaten it with your hands and spoon 1 or 2 tbsp of the filling into the middle. pinch together and roll into a ball again. *apply oil as needed* 

my Hotteok sizes aren't consistent but it should give you about 10 balls depending on the size you make them. (as you can see my first one was the biggest one -_-')

put enough canola oil or vegetable oil to cover the pan. 

place the balls in 3 at a time and with the back of the spatula flaten them to about half an inch thick.

make sure not to flatten them so much the filling will ooze out! 

cook for 2-3 minutes on each side on low-medium heat or until both sides are golden brown.

and now you have yummy delicious sweet Hotteok!!! mm this will go great with coffee or tea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment